Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hawaii in the winter...hmmmm.....



So today at church I sat next to a girl that I sort of know from school (She graduated a year ahead of me from the interior design program at BYU-Idaho) After Relief Society (which was first) she asked me how the job hunt was going. I told her that it wasn't and she said that she has been having problems as well. Then she said that she found a job in Captain Cook Hawaii (on the big island...google it) breeding queen bees and she was looking for someone to go down with her. (Her family owns a bee business so this wasn't such a stretch for her.) Intrigued, I asked for more details and this is what she told me:

She said that if I went down with her we would live in one of three, newly remodeled, fully furnished, three-bedroom houses on the property (including dishes and bedding). Rent would be $1200 for the entire house, so $600 each if we went down, $400 if we can find another person (Anyone interested? No experience necessary!) Also the owner would provide internet and some sort of car for us to purchase while we are there, then sell back when we leave (to avoid liability issues). The pay is $10 an hour, and we can work as much or as little as we'd like (preferring 40-48 hours a week). But he is very lenient and will let us off when we want to go exploring or take a weekend to go to another island or something. It would only be for 4-6 months, though we could leave earlier if we don't like it, or stay later if we do.


I hardly listened for the rest of church. I just kept thinking about it and if I should do it or not. I know it is weird, being a beekeeper and all, but to live in Hawaii for 6 months, during the rest of the winter, sounds FABULOUS to me! And why not go? I have nothing holding me here. It's basically like what I did in Boston, pick up and move somewhere for four months with nothing but my suitcases....so I know I can do it. It seems to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live in Hawaii, enjoying paradise and learning a lot of new things (beekeeping, sailing, diving, etc.) I'm still debating if it's really the right thing to do or not (any opinions and advice are welcome), but my adventurous heart has been longing for something new and this just might be it...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My advice:DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW! It is hard once you get married and have kids to do those things, you should take advantage of it while you have the opportunity!!in

*ehu. said...

Hawaii during the winter time, coming from Idaho....do you REALLY think you need ANY advice?!

Girl, you would be STUPID not to take this opportunity of a lifetime. Just do it! 4-6 months...what's stopping you?!

I can't believe you're even asking for advice.

*ehu. said...

p.s. Referring back to your Bucket List blog...

It would cover #2, #6, & #7 and if you play your cards just right, even #13.

4 out of 13 from your list---that's not too shabby!