Friday, January 2, 2009

Prepare for take-off

Well today I finally bought my ticket to Hawaii. (I was waiting until Jan 1 because my Discover card was having a 5% cash back bonus on all travel beginning Jan 1. Now I'll have nearly $20 back in my pocket! Woo Hoo!) So I officially leave at 6 am on Tuesday, January 20th. I'm so excited! The more I think about it, the more excited I get! I know you are all probably tired of hearing about it already, but it's just such an unexpected opportunity and I just can't wait to experience Hawaii for the first time!

I also went with Amanda out to her family's bee operation and her dad explained all about bees and beekeeping and what he thinks I'll probably be doing at my job. There is a TON to know! Bees are such complex and interesting creatures, and beekeeping is actually a very involved process. There are worker bees and drones and queen bees and each one has a different job and incubation time. Everything is on a schedule, i.e. queens hatch after 15 days so if you need to transport them on day 4 you can't just take a day off. She won't wait to develop. I have a huge amount of vocabulary to learn and a lot of bee biology to study. It will all be overwhelming at first but definitely worth it in the end!

3 comments:

*ehu. said...

Dude, I'm still so freakin' happy for you!!! Just don't watch "My Girl" you might change your mind.

Ashlee Peterson said...

Haha! That movie has crossed my mind more than once the past few weeks. Lucky for me...I'm not allergic!

Brian and Leilani said...

It reminds me of the book "The Secret Lives of Bees". They even made a movie of it, but it never came to Idaho Falls.